Apprenticeships Student Information
Apprenticeships are more than just a qualification. They allow you to become a professional in your chosen field, earning a wage whilst making a real impact in the workplace.
Here at NWSLC, our Apprenticeship offer is designed to meet industry demands. Our aim is to make sure you pursue a career you are passionate about. View our success stories and find out what our current apprentices think of the apprenticeships they are studying.
BENEFITS OF AN APPRENTICESHIP
- Earn whilst you learn
- Gain a recognised qualification
- Receive on-the-job training
- Study a wide choice of apprenticeships from various sectors
- Retrain and upskill
If you want to get stuck in right away, earn a wage and gain real work experience, then the Apprenticeship option is for you.
WHAT IS AN APPRENTICESHIP?
An Apprenticeship allows you to work as a paid employee within an organisation whilst working towards a nationally-recognised qualification.
WHAT CAN I DO AN APPRENTICESHIP IN?
Across the UK, Apprenticeships are available in 1,500 job roles, covering more than 170 industries. Here at the College, we offer Apprenticeship in:
WHAT GRADES WILL I NEED?
This will depend on the sector area and level of Apprenticeship you are applying for. To find out more, get in touch with us today.
HOW MANY HOURS WILL I WORK?
You will work for at least 30 hours per week with your employer.
Training for your qualification will take place either at your work or in College, usually for one day per week.
HOW LONG IS AN APPRENTICESHIP?
Apprenticeships take between 1-5 years depending on the level, framework or standard, sector and your prior skills.
WHEN CAN I START AN APPRENTICESHIP?
Apprenticeships are available to start throughout the year.
WHO CAN DO AN APPRENTICESHIP?
If you are leaving school – an Apprenticeship is the perfect way to kick-start your dream career, whether you want to go on to further training, Higher Education or full-time employment.
If you are in employment – if you are 16 or over, already in employment and don’t currently hold a Level 2 or 3 qualification in your field, you could upskill via the Apprenticeship route.
If you are unemployed – Apprenticeships could be the perfect way to get back into work and kick-start your dream career.
Contact us today to discover more about your options.
WHAT QUALIFICATIONS WILL I GET?
Apprenticeships are available from GCSE equivalent, up to degree level. Where you start will depend on prior skills and qualifications.
As part of every Apprenticeship programme, Apprentices will cover:
- Competence and Knowledge: this will be specific to your chosen job role/sector
- Functional Skills in English, maths and ICT (unless you already have GCSEs at grade C or above)
- Employment Rights and Responsibilities
- Personal Thinking and Listening Skills
HOW MUCH WILL I BE PAID?
Apprentices will be paid at least the national minimum apprenticeship wage, £4.30 per hour (April 2021) with many employers paying more.
CAN I GO TO UNIVERSITY IF I DO AN APPRENTICESHIP?
Yes, you can. Once you finish your Apprenticeship, you could progress to an Advanced or Higher Apprenticeship, leading to university, further training or related vocational qualifications and full-time employment.
ARE APPRENTICESHIPS AS GOOD AS A LEVELS?
Both options are valid career paths, whether you want to go onto university, further training or straight into full-time employment.
HOW DO I APPLY FOR AN APPRENTICESHIP?
In order to start an Apprenticeship, you will need to be employed or find an employer who is looking for an Apprentice. If you are interested in an Apprenticeship, you have two options:
- Please visit our Apprenticeships Current Vacancies page, browse through the current vacancies and apply for the one that’s right for you.
- If you don’t want to apply for a specific vacancy or can’t find one that’s appealing, but you are interested in doing an apprenticeship in a certain industry, please register your interest with us by filling out this form – please select ‘Apprenticeships’ from the drop-down list before submitting the registration. You can always Browse our Apprenticeships to learn more about what we offer.