Alert We are open! For Covid-19 FAQs, please click here.

Back to top

HE – Application & F.A.Q’s


Applications for full-time Higher Education courses are made through the University and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS).

Apply online on the UCAS website and use institution code N79 and select Campus Code.

If you cannot find your course on the UCAS website, this may be because it is delivered in partnership with a university. In this case, please contact, who will be able to provide you with a university-specific application form.

  • To apply, go to and create an account or if you already have an account, log in
  • Make a note of your personal ID. This could be on paper or on a note in your phone
  • You don’t have to fill it in all in one go, you can save your progress and come back to it at a later date
  • Full in each section carefully and read it though. Remember to save
  • There is a personal details section, where important information will be gathered. Make sure this is all correct as the college will use these to contact you and they’ll also get transferred to our systems on appointment of offer
  • In the choices section, select the college and any other institutions you have chosen. The college’s institution code is N79
  • Select the course you’d like and which campus it’s running at
  • The next section is about your education. Enter the details of the schools you have been to, the qualifications you have and if you’re currently studding
  • The employment history section is for to record if you’ve had any jobs or volunteer positions
  • Next is the personal statement. This is where you get to tell us why you want to study that course and tell us about your passions. Include anything that is relevant, including odd jobs you do. For example, babysitting gives you responsibility and time management skills, both are valued skills. TIP: Write your statement in a separate program (such as word) and ask someone to read over it.
  • You can request a reference next. You can ask for a written recommendation from a teacher, adviser, or professional who knows you academically or professionally. Everyone needs a reference, unless you get special permission from the college. If the application is done alongside schooling, you can often find that the references will be provided by the school you are attending
  • Before submitting, please read through all your details, checking that it is all correct


Some of the information on this page is provided from UCAS. For more information, please visit their website.


Frequently Asked Questions: 

What is clearing?

Clearing is the recognised post-qualification application route for undergraduate courses. It is normally open July to the middle of September. This is set up via UCAS and we often have courses available through this process.

What age do I need to be to start a course?

You need to be aged 19 or above for the access courses and 18 or above for our HNC, HND and top-up courses.

What campus are the courses at?

Our courses are spread across most campuses. Hinckley is the main hub but courses are offered at Nuneaton and Wigston too. Check the course features box, when clicked into the course, to see its information.

Is the college right for me?

This is your own choice. We offer a different environment to university, and it’s up to you which you prefer. We do offer some benefits, for example our lower fees and personalised approach, but everyone has a different opinion on which they prefer.

Can I apply for courses starting in September 2021?

You can see a general overview of the courses we offer through UCAS. Applications for most courses are open now.

Do you have accommodation?

Unfortunately we don’t offer accommodation.

What are the benefits of studying at the college?

There are many advantages to studding a higher level course with us.

– Our fees are lower that university’s tuition. Universities can charge up to £9,250 per year and ours are around £5,950 or less.

– We offer personalised support; we have open doors, mental health first aiders, and a range of services available to students. We also have smaller class sizes which means our friendly tutors will be on hand to give you the support you need throughout your studies.

– Many of our tutors have come from industry and are practitioners, bringing their experience with them and apply it to their teaching.

– We have certification with QAA for our HE provision and are regulated by the office for students too. Also, we are an accredited centre for delivering professional qualifications. We are working alongside universities to deliver degree top-ups, foundation degrees and full degree programmes.

– Flexibility is priority concern so we offer a range of study options made to fit around your lifestyle and/or work commitments.

There are many other benefits, please look at our HE section or contact us for more information.

How do I apply?

You apply through UCAS where you can choose five choices at more than one university or college. There is an admin fee of £18 for one choice or £24 for more than one.

I’ve applied, what happens now?

Once your application has been processed by the college, you will be notified via email to check your UCAS track to see if you have been made an offer.

When is the cut-off date for applications?

The cut off for courses starting Sep/Oct 2020 is 19th September 2019.

How do I pay for my course?

If you are planning to take out a loan for the course you will need to apply to student finance. You will be able to take out a loan to cover the cost that is depending on you meeting the criteria. This loan gets paid directly to the college and you do not need to worry about paying anything upfront.

What is Access?

Access to Higher Education is equivalent to a Level 3 course, which is similar to BTECs or A levels. It is compacted into a one year course, learning full-time. The Access to HE Diploma is widely recognised by universities and has a variety of course topics. Read more here:

Where can I go after my course?

If you choose to study a HNC or HND with the college you can choose to top it up at college or university to gain a full undergraduate degree, or you can go directly into employment.

Can someone help me with my application?

At NWSLC, we always aim to support you by giving you a range of information, advice and guidance. If you would like to talk to anyone regarding your career options, please do get in touch.

You can contact our IAG advisors (Information, Advice and Guidance) by email: or by ringing 0330 058 3000


At NWSLC, we always aim to support you by giving you a range of information, advice and guidance. If you would like to talk to anyone regarding your career options, please do get in touch. You can contact our IAG advisors by email: or by ringing 0330 058 3000.


Have a question that we haven’t answered? Tell it to us here, on our contact us page