In today’s competitive jobs market, students leaving college with a qualification simply isn’t enough. At North Warwickshire and South Leicestershire College, we understand the value of work experience, how essential it is and how we can equip our students with the whole skills package.
Key Work Experience Facts
- Work experience is a vital part of your time at college.
- You will get new job skills, build your confidence and it will look great on your CV.
- You’ll need a work placement linked to your course subject.
- You will need a minimum of 16 hours.
Support from your Progress Coach, Lecturers and Work Experience Coordinator are available to help you find Work Experience.
Why you need work experience
Work Experience is part of your study programme, which is made of:
- Main qualification
- English and Maths
- Work Experience
What are the benefits of work experience?
Work experience enables you to gain valuable employment skills which will look great on your CV when seeking full-time employment or part-time jobs. Additionally, work experience will build your confidence and get you ready for the world of work.
What work experience does for you and why you need it
- Increase your knowledge
- Provides experience and improves employability
- Improves your communication skills
- You learn about the recruitment process
- Creates work ethic
Where can you find work experience
- Job centre
- Progress Coaches
- Work Experience Coordinator
How to apply to get work experience
- Create a CV
- Write a relevant cover letter
- Contact Employer
- Complete any application forms necessary
- Prepare for and attend any interviews organized
- Agree on a start date with the Employer
Employers thoughts about work experience
“Leading employers value work experience among graduates more than the grades or the university they have been to, according to new research.”
The Independent (2015)
“Work experience can really set you apart from your peers. Whether you’ve sorted a week working at a magazine, a month at an engineering firm or a few days shadowing your local plumber this summer, the skills and experience you pick up can help you to stand out in an increasingly competitive job market.”
The Guardian (2017)
“About 80 per cent of employers think work experience is essential, according to a survey by the City & Guilds vocational training organization, and two-thirds of employers would be more likely to hire a young person with work experience over someone with none.”
City Guilds (2015)
To find out more about work experience, get in touch today!